Saturday, June 13, 2009

First Visit to the Cage

A late update, but a couple weeks ago I made my first visit to the Cage. The clubhouse for the Gameongw group arranged for by Bobby Ash. I went Saturday to meet Patrick and trade for a bunch of catachan but he was tied up with his recruiter and wasn't able to show. I did play a game of Ogre with Chuckaroobob and his buddy Oliver, but The Main Event was on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!
My second foray into the Imperial guard Codex had a better outcome. This was also another campaign battle and after much trash talking I decided to reveal unto John the darkness in the new guard codex. My army consisted of Col (Elvo) Straken and a loaded squad in a chimera, an infantry platoon with a loaded command squad in a chimera and 2 infantry squads, a vet squad with 3 plasma guns, 2 ratling squads, Mort(sly marbo)Brandysnap, 2 banewolves, a demolisher with plasma sponsons and an Executioner with plasma sponsons. Basically an army loaded up with plasma goodness to cleanse the Nurgle filth that John Bays brought.
The start line for my deployment. I may have lead John to believe I was bringing a horde list but when the trade didn't happen with Patrick Saturday I fell back to a more mechanised list.
John Gave me first turn and I used it well. I moved everything up and and my second Banewolf multimelta shot of the game destroyed his Predator parked in the woods before it got a shot off. Then the game really went south for John. His Chaos dread fire frenzied and the closest unit was his nurgle bikers so he turbo boosted his bikes near the Banewolves. I pointed out the chemical cannon ignored cover saves but John did the move anyway. My turn I chemcannoned the bikesquad and then we realized John misunderstood that turbo boosting gave a cover save and not an invulnerable save. After an ugly turn of shooting only the Chaos sorcerer on a bike was left with one wound. Then I remembered the multilaser in the platoon commanders chimera and it took the Sorcerer's last wound. John's second turn his plague marines burnt down the ratlings . Another plague marine squad shot up my vet squad. His dreadnought frenzied again and had to move toward the platoon commanders chimera. Unfortunately his vindicator shot scattered and landed on the chimera destroying it but because of the medic I didn't lose anyone from the command squad. This left his dreadnought outside of charge range but inside range of the meltaguns from the command squad. My turn The Executioner burnt down a plague marine squad and another sorcerer with them, the demolisher destroyed his vindicator, Elvo Strakens squad destroyed a plaguemarine squads rhino and the command squad destroyed his dreadnought. Johns turn he summoned in a daemon squad. The only icon he had left was in the plaguemarine squad in front of Elvo's squad. The daemons charged Elvo in cover. Elvo strakens squad threw a bunch of attacks and killed a couple daemons and then the squad saved all the wounds the daemons did in return. This disgusted John in a way that is had to describe. A guard unit beating daemons in close combat was too wrong to conceive. So objective hammer ensued and I held my objective and he would have to walk through all the fire my army could put out to get to it, while I had several units able to get to his objective and there was little he could do to stop it. He conceded the game and gave me the win. The new guard codex can be ugly if you have the models to field it.

Pregame shot of the Battlefield.
Infiltrating ratlings that were a little too close and died quickly the next turn.
The Cage from the inside looking out.

The flames of war Demo Game. It consisted om Chuckaroobob, a guy named Joe and me playing Soviet against John Bays, Shaun and another guy playing germans. It was a massive tank battle. T34/85's and IS-2 against a bunch of Panthers and Tigers. the usual. The high point of my game was when my M3 stuarts contested a german objective for a 1/2 a turn. It was a fun game and I believe it spread the interest for Flames of War.
The line o Tanks.

I had a couple good days of gaming at the Cage and hope that it will last for a while to come.





No comments: