Monday, September 27, 2010

My Little World 3rd Anniversary

Once again 26 September has come and My Little World of Dementia celebrates its third anniversary.

I invited some friends over for a test game of eighth edition Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I fielded three thousand points of Dark elves against an equal amount of Empire played by my buddies Jerry and Tony. It was a learning game and I learned I should have read the rules more. We spent a lot of time just looking up basic stuff I should have gained a better understanding of before I tried playing a game.

First some Highlights,

My first roll for Power dice in my first game of eighth edition Warhammer, Snake Eyes! I tried a spell and it was dispelled with a dice roll, end magic phase. I had a sacrificial dagger on my High Sorceress and failed to use it once during the game. I have since went back to my army list and written "Remember to use Dagger for Every Spell" beside the High Sorceress entry.

A combat from the right flank. A hydra and a unit of Executioners lead by a Sorcerer charge some knights. The knights had already been hit by the metal lore spell that subtracts one point of armor. I figured I would try again and Jerry played the Hex Scroll which turned the Sorcerer into a frog. Luckily the hydra breathed on the knights killing three and dropped the last two with its normal attacks. The Sorcerer was still a frog but at least a knight didn't stomp him.

We were playing the Watchtower scenario and Tony was defending it with a twenty man unit of Huntsmen. My unit of twenty Corsairs with the Sea Serpent standard and an assassin charged the tower on turn one. I ended up losing several going in but because of the +1 attack buff from the Cauldron of blood, frenzy from the banner and the assassin they threw over forty attacks. The Assassin issued a challenge and the marksman accepted it which gave me a good over kill bonus. The Huntsmen killed a few Corsairs and the Corsairs killed over half of the Huntsmen. The Huntsman broke and ran and the Corsairs caught them. This pursuit left them beyond the tower and right in front of the Fifty man Spearman unit lead by the Empire general. Bad day.

The left flank, a unit of dark riders and Harpies rounding the bend. My plan was to charge some mortars that are stage right of the Wizard but we called the game before they go their chance.

The spearmen didn't charge in their turn so in my turn the Corsairs did. The Assassin issued a challenge and Jerry accepted with his General, who received a killing blow and failed his ward save. The Corsairs had the Cauldron +1 attack buff , were still frenzied and had the fire lore spell cast on them to give a +1 to wound rolls. They killed eleven spearmen and then the Spearmen killed the rest of the Corsairs. We figured combat resolution and I was about to roll the break test when I remembered Eternal Hatred and did the re rolls for the Corsairs. They ended up killing a couple more spearmen which put me winning the combat by one. The Spearmen made their break test even without the general and I pondered if it would have been better for the Assassin to have run back to the tower.
We ended up calling the game soon after the Spearman combat. It wasn't a full game but we learned a lot about what we still need to know about the new edition. Some of the changes like true line of sight and premeasuring will take getting use to but I like it. I also like the variable in the Magic phase. It makes every magic phase count.
A couple other highlights that I didn't get pictures of were the first turn shooting from a six man unit of shades that killed a cannon and the second Hydra using it breath weapon to kill fifteen models out of a twenty five model Halbardier unit to the right of the big spearman unit.

No comments: